Top 10 highest paid cricketers in IPL
- 1. Virat Kohli (Royal Challengers Bangalore). 170 million rupees ($2.4m) -
- 2. Chris Morris (Rajasthan Royals). 162.5m rupees ($2.2m) –
- 3. Pat Cummins (Kolkata Knight Riders). 155m rupees ($2.1m) –
- 4. MS Dhoni (Chennai Super Kings). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
- 5. Rohit Sharma (Mumbai Indians). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
- 6. Rishabh Pant (Delhi Capitals). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
- 7. Kyle Jamieson (Royal Challengers Bangalore). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
- 8. Glenn Maxwell (Royal Challengers Bangalore). 142.5m rupees ($1.96m) –
- 9. Jhye Richardson (Punjab Kings).140m rupees ($1.92m) –
- 10. David Warner (Sunrisers Hyderabad). IPL salary: 125m rupees ($1.72m) –
1. Virat Kohli (Royal Challengers Bangalore). 170 million rupees ($2.4m) -
Surprised? No, nobody is. The Indian Captain Virat Kohli is the highest paid cricketer in IPL and given his fan following and the value he brings to the tournament with his sheer stardom and fan following, he definitely deserves to be the highest paid cricketer in the IPL with fans all around the world. Even though his side Royal Challengers Bangalore has not been able to lift the trophy once, given the fuss and the support he still brings to the Bengaluru team, he deserves to be at the summit. Period!
2. Chris Morris (Rajasthan Royals). 162.5m rupees ($2.2m) –
He was bought by the Rajasthan Royals registering the highest bid made in an auction for a player. He can bowl yorkers at will, bowl at an amazing pace of 145 plus consistently, and also hit the big sixes that go the distance and this is why all these zeros were added to his bid at the end making him the highest buy in the history of IPL with 16.25 crores after surpassing Yuvraj Singh’s 16 crore mark.
3. Pat Cummins (Kolkata Knight Riders). 155m rupees ($2.1m) –
The No 1 test bowler, a bowler who can bowl consistently at a pace of 150, bowl pinpoint yorkers at will, bowl equally good slower balls, and also hit the big sixes when his team needs him to and an equally impressive fielder too. Need we say more? He deserves the 3rd spot which is why he was snatched up by the Kolkata Knight Riders for such a huge amount and he even justified his price tag with such performances.
4. MS Dhoni (Chennai Super Kings). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
Almost touching 40, retired from International Cricket, yet, he is one of the highest-paid cricketers in the IPL. Normally this would not be true for 99 out of the 100 cricketers who are playing or who have played the game. But when the name is Mahendra Singh Dhoni you know this is expected. CSK is Dhoni, Dhoni is CSK, the tremendous experience, the fan following, and the finishing he brings to the table, Dhoni will always be on this list as long as he is playing the game.
5. Rohit Sharma (Mumbai Indians). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
The most successful IPL captain, winning the trophy 5 times as a captain and 6 times as a player. Rohit Sharma brings so much to the table. He has shaped up this Mumbai Indians team into the champions they are and that too with some great captaincy and personal performances too. He is quite deserving of every penny he gets.
6. Rishabh Pant (Delhi Capitals). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
One of the most destructive left-handed batsmen in the game today, Rishabh Pant is 6th on this list. His big-hitting ability and that too at a very good strike rate, his keeping abilities too make Rishabh Pant a very good X-factor player to have in your side who can change the game as and when he wants.
7. Kyle Jamieson (Royal Challengers Bangalore). 150m rupees ($2.06m) –
The 6ft 8 inches all-rounder from New Zealand made headlines when he dismantled India’s batting lineup with both ride and white cherries during their tour down under. A very effective pacy bowler with such an amazing height and also a very hard-hitting lower middle-order batsman who can hit the big sixes and finish an innings or close the game, Kyle Jamieson was bought by the Royal Challengers Bangalore for a whooping 15 crores making him 7 on this list.
8. Glenn Maxwell (Royal Challengers Bangalore). 142.5m rupees ($1.96m) –
He did not hit a six during the previous IPL, he was then let go by his franchise Punjab but that did not stop him from still being one of the top earners in the IPL. A serious matchwinner on his day, Glenn Maxwell was bought by the Royal Challengers Bangalore for a whooping 14.25 crores and he has delivered according to his price tag at least in the first half of the IPl which then got postponed due to the COVID pandemic. A serious finisher, brilliant fielder, and a big six-hitter, the big show deserves to be on this list.
9. Jhye Richardson (Punjab Kings).140m rupees ($1.92m) –
A very effective bowler at the death who can nail pin-point yorkers, bowl good consistent line and lengths and that too at a pace of 150 regularly and also has a very good set of variations of slower balls, knuckle balls at his disposal, Jhye Richardson is one of a kind bowler which is why he was snatched up the Punjab Kings for a whooping 14 crores as they needed a brilliant bowler who can finish an innings.
10. David Warner (Sunrisers Hyderabad). IPL salary: 125m rupees ($1.72m) –
The most successful foriegn player to have played in the IPL, David Warner was bound to be on this list. He has the most 50’s in the IPL and is a very important player for his side Sunrisers Hyderabad. He scores runs consistently giving them good solid starts and that too at a rapid pace and he can accelerate as and when he wants. He also is a very good captain and has a lot of experience in the bag.